Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Right Nutrition to Fight Cancer

So much has gone on in my life since my last post. I am sorry I have not been around. I was contacted by Jillian McKee . She had read my last post and wanted to share information through my blog. I feel so strongly that my diet has helped so much in my cancer walk that I had to agree. I will be back soon to fill you in on my story but now here is Jillian's words....... When you are diagnosed with cancer, you know that you are in for a fight. Between trying supplements and alternative treatments for mesothelioma, you are going to need energy just live your day to day life. One of the biggest symptoms of cancer has to deal with fatigue. When you suffer fatigue on a daily basis, your quality of life will suffer and you will lack the energy you need to do even basic tasks. When you are undergoing treatments to fight cancer, your doctor should explain to you that cancer-related fatigue is a very common side effect. If you know what to expect, you can fight the good fight. One way to battle the fatigue is to practice eating the right foods when you are diagnosed, going through treatment, and even when you are in remission. Realize the benefits of good nutrition when you have cancer and live a better quality of life that is not being affected by your treatments or your illness. How Can Nutrition Increase Your Energy Levels When You Are Suffering From Fatigue? When you are completely healthy, failing to eat the right foods can affect your health and your energy levels. Now, imagine going through treatments that are designed to kill cancerous cells and you can imagine just how important nutrition can be. Eating poorly can make your symptoms even worse and it is imperative to make sure that you are eating and drinking enough of the right foods and fluids. The key to increasing your energy levels when you are undergoing cancer treatments is to maximize your calorie intake and include proteins in your diet. Because many patients feel full and have difficulty swallowing, you will need to find ways that you can get the calories you need and the protein you need in smaller portions. Many dietitians who help cancer patients with eating problems will suggest that they try food additives, breakfast drinks, and powdered milk to get the protein they need for more energy. Improving Your Quality of Life While there is no super food that can cure cancer, there are super foods that can give your body the fatty acids and antioxidants it needs to fight infection. When you have cancer, the cancerous cells can weaken your immune system and even a common cold can take weeks to get over. If you want to strengthen your immune system, you will need to eat foods that a rich in Vitamin A, C, and E if you want to benefit from the health-promoting properties. Some foods include whole grains, nuts, seeds, salmon, and vegetables. The antioxidants in these foods can benefit you now and in the future and can even help prevent to recurrence of cancer when you are in remission. If you have been diagnosed with cancer, you are going to go through a roller coast of different emotions. After you get past the emotions, you need to take time to learning how to eat nutritious foods that will give you more energy and a stronger immune system.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Audrey, so good to see you post. I also have been missing for awhile, haven't posted on my blog since April. I finished Chemo in June and although the fatique hung on for awhile I haven't feel this good in a long time.
    Anxious to see more posts from you.
    Take care, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, Audrey~ just applaud you for the information~ I am wishing you well & sending prayers~
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Audrey! Thanks for posting this important information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually one of the reasons why we should trust the saying prevention is better than cure, there are actually a lot of methods to avoid it, and it is indeed much less inexpensive compared to medicines, chemotherapy, cancer treatment centers and others. thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Audrey...I've been missing you so much girl. I check in VERY often for an update, or any word from you. I'm still praying and thinking of you often.

    This information Jillian has shared through your blog is great info. I only wish I'd learn more, years ago when my father was ill and going through. I don't know...sometimes it's so much easier to read reads from regular people rather than hearing it from doctors. Seems so much easier to process.

    I'm glad to read you are doing well. Oh the things I know I could do to improve my health and life. Would be so easier if it was like inhaling and exhaling. (sigh) Anyways, I'm often thinking of you and will continue to pray for you. Looking forward to reading your next post.

    HUGS,
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete