Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thrifty tip


My close friends know I have "campaign taste on a beer pocket book..."
I can not get over the prices on some items. so when i can cut corners or make it myself I do. It may not be exact but the satisfaction of money saved is well worth it.
One thing I do, rather than buy my pillows pre made I make them. Yes I do sew but anyone can make these.
First find place mats that can be separated front from back.


On this one I cut a small slit in the back , stuffed and whip stitched close.


Table runners can be made the same way to use on benches as well as bolster pillows for the bed. The only important thing to remember is you must be able to separate the two sides.

for this one I carefully opened the hem stitch at the end of the runner, stuffed and whip stitched closed.

For those with a little sewing knowledge. It is much cheaper to buy Heirloom weavers place mats and sew a backing than to buy the beautiful pillows already made.
I bought a set of 4 place mats for 34.99 and then backed them with quality black wool. They came out great. These have been well used and hold up well.

Hope this tip helps you and inspires you to look at placemats with a new purpose.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Audrey,

    I've heard of this before but forgot about it...thanks for reminding me:)

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey, This is the best thrifty tip ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super idea!! Love it~~

    And I look forward to seeing you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is what I call a really great idea!!! I just may have to give it a try. When I see the prices they have on the new pillow covers it discourages me but I think I could do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! You did a great job! ~Dan~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea I would never have thought of placemats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing such wonderful tips! I will be on the look out for these and save myself a small fortune!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tip, Audrey! I love the Family Heirloom pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Audrey,

    I'm very impressed! I do well to sew on buttons! That turned out great! I love it!

    Have ag reat day!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Audrey ~ I saw that you are a new follower of my blog, so I checked out yours! I love your pillow ideas ~ they all look great! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete