Monday, January 25, 2010

Make do chairs


Sunday I had a nice morning out with my husband. We headed up to Country Mischief. He had received a gift certificate from Gail's son after the completion of their new home as a Thank you.
We started off shopping . I just love seeing all the great things she has there.
I saw a simple make do chair that I really liked. They had just covered the seat and stuffed it as well as covering the back with fabric. It was darling and if I had extra money I would have brought it home but being a one income family of 5 I headed over to the fabric part of her shop and picked up some nice cloth instead.
We then had breakfast. I chose the Mushroom and Broccoli quiche. On the week end it comes with toast and home fries. I picked Cinnamon Raisin toast. It was thick and tasted like a Cinnamon roll. YUMMY!!!! I took the quiche home as after the toast and potatoes I was full.
We headed over to Primitives for Ewe next. Although I was looking for a item for a swap I didn't see anything for that but left with this beautiful table square.

It's called Angstsdt star #9 pattern. It is made by Family Heirloom weavers. I just love it and it is the colors of my furniture.
Later that afternoon took my son jean shopping. As we passed a Antique/consignment shop they had a few chairs outside just calling me. I quickly stopped paid and loaded them and came home to make my new chairs.
as some of you know I have made make do's before but with the high back and sides. I love them and do sit in them.


The difference with these chairs , not only can I just make them myself right away without waiting for wonderful hubby to cut the wood. They also fit anywhere.
I started by sewing reinforcement fabric around the seats in both directions. Probably not necessary but I did.

I then sewed the bottom fabric on. I stuffed the first one with raw wool for a comfy seat. I wrapped the back of the chair with cotton batting and stitched closed then added poly fill in side of it for more added comfort.


I then sewed my fabric on. I added wool patches for "looks.


I then did the second one. only difference is I stuffed the seat with poly fil for a more puffy look because of the fabric I choose.


I love them both and will spend today rearranging furniture to find just the right spot for them.
I hope you are all making the most of your Monday.

5 comments:

  1. Love those chairs!!
    You did a prim perfect job!!
    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your chairs. Great job on them. Love the settee and you table in the head picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey you are so creative!!We need a road trip to that shop soon!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic to have your husband go on the shopping excursion with you and Such a GREAT job on your Makedo Chairs...It's wonderful to look at something and say 'Hey, I can do that'(AND Love the outcome)...Loved your show and tell on the chair makeover!!!

    Your Children are just Beautiful...Enjoy their Happiness...

    Always My Best
    ~Marilyn

    ReplyDelete